Thursday, May 13, 2010

Golden Rule

So, we are wrapping up the Sermon on the Mount sermon series at church, which we've been discussing since before Christmas--- since Fall! Why? Well, the sermon on the mount is pretty much where Jesus- God in the flesh- is saying, "Here is what really matters. Here's what it all boils down to." And it's pretty simple. I mean it's not simple in that it's do-able. It's simple in that it is what it is. The words mean what the words mean.

Love thy neighbor. Period.

Angry/ bitter/ remorseful - not good. Same as murder. Not good.

Adultery is more than a physical sin. Looking with lust. Not good.

Divorce, Oaths, prayer, fasting--- all of these are discussed and in pretty simple terms y'all. It's not rocket science.

So, this Sunday was all about living the Golden Rule. Our pastor challenged us to live each day, to see each encounter as on opportunity to do unto others. To live our lives this week with Golden Rule colored glasses on.

I like to think I'm a nice person, I do. I like to think that I smile, nod and act interested- even when I'm not. (See the problem here?) It's a heart issue. I mean, yes, I stopped a guy on the subway platform just this Wednesday morning, who had dropped some paperwork and didn't even realized. (+1) I'm throwing a baby shower in my apartment (+1) I work hard and do my job as unto the Lord, even when it feels like no one else cares. And takes advantage. And is dishonest, cheats, and are otherwise anything but civil to fellow employees. (+3)
---
See how good I am at this- I mean really? BUT... I know I am not always patient, kind, loving or even care about others. I am pretty selfish. Which is why I didn't want to go to choir rehearsal. (It was rainy and cold &, well going home just sounded more fun than singing praises to the Lord.) And it's why I am considering spending the upwards of $800 on something totally for me. Something totally elaborate and self gratifying. Which is why I spend WAY too much time getting ready in the morning. (When Chris pointed this out to me & I could tell by his tone he wasn't kidding, I was sort of embarrassed. Like, how good do I think I need to look? This is not a beauty pageant. It's not my high school prom or my wedding day, for crying out loud...)
---
It's totally a heart issue. Like why do I do what I do, because people are watching? Because I'm afraid of what people will say- if I don't? Because I'm trying to earn point with God? Because I can check, "Read Beth Moore devotional for the day" off my Christian To Do list?
---
Our pastor says that it's not what we pray. But it's the God that we pray to. He already knows, he created us for crying out loud. He just wants our time. He wants our talent and all that we are & hope to become. And He wants us to treat others the way we want to be treated- not in a "we are the world, we are the children ...." sort of way. Not in a "Kumbaya around the campfire" sort of way. But real. Real Love. That is honest, confrontational, accountable, forgiving and accepting.

No comments:

Post a Comment