Tuesday, May 11, 2010

i wish

I wish I used my time wisely. I read an article just today about how we are a nation of people who like to “look” busy, but may really not be. I mean, granted my job is receptionist/ support staff/ help out as needed- therefore I have a lot of filler time. A lot of time to write. Write. Write.

I booked a trip to Texas during Memorial Day weekend- and I can’t wait. Already I have (most) of my days outlined and planned. I’m seriously looking forward to sweating my butt off in the blazing hot Texas sun! (As it was 41 degrees here this morning when I woke up!!) I know we (ie I) vent a lot about the weather, but come on already! We New Yorkers love to hate this place. We love to complain about living here- but we refuse to leave.

When I’m home I’ll see my family and best gals & I’ll get my haircut at a reasonable price. I love seeing my h/cutter- we’ve been together many, many years, and hair styles too. I’m glad I have friends who have been with me many years- many haircuts, boyfriends, pant sizes and tastes in music.

This weekend Titanic was on television- and I was “in charge of the remote!” Chris was franticly searching Craigslist for a car/ van/ motorcycle/ ANY mode of transportation to get him out of the city for yet another summer road trip. “If you are on the computer then I get the remote.” And I picked Titanic.

I was immediately eighteen again and realized how the movie- the scenes the dialog shook me to the core. The first time I saw it my two best friends and I watched it alone, at midnight at the Cinema 4 in Athens, and we were affected so much so that our bodies convulsed with tears, tears which welled up from our hormonally charged need for a boy. Need for someone to love us- for the perfect relationship... (teenage angst that was so, very real in the moment.) Watching the movie then, I was overwhelmed with emotion- because, well, I’m not really sure why- only I felt that it was so romantic and so relatable. And even though now I realize that a lot of the scenes are so melodramatic and the dialogue cliché, I’m immediately that eighteen year old girl again.

I could recall entire scenes line for line & Chris just rolled his eyes at me. My two friends and I worked at the theatre, so we were the first to get to see it, and were prided ourselves in that fact. Our midnight viewing was not the only time we watched this movie. EVERY night we worked we’d sneak in the back of the smallish theatre just to watch our favorite scenes. Of course, right?

I’m thankful that these ladies are still my friends- over ten years later. And I will never forget dancing the Irish jig in the back of the theatre night, after night, after night.

No comments:

Post a Comment