Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Stop and Smell the Tulips

So a couple of weekends ago, as I walked the Brooklyn Bridge Promenade with a couple of friends- as they & everyone else were taking picture of, what else, the Brooklyn Bridge and great views of lower Manhattan- I was taking pictures of flowerbeds. And backyards (hello, people with real backyards- patio furniture, plant boxes- grills!). And brownstones. And street signs.

I have been told before that based on the pictures I bring back from vacation, the hundreds of photographs I bring back, you can't really tell where I went. I'm focused on the tiny details, the little things that make a certain place special. Yes, vast scenic views are great- and I capture those pictures as well- but I love the quirky, weird shots I find. (I have a picture of my friend taking a picture of me taking a picture. We were in Austria, looking up at this marvelous castle- the gardens leading up the majestic architecture that demands reverence. And I am laying on my back trying to get a picture of the underneath side of one of the huge plants in the garden.)

Life's been crazy this past week- when is it not, really? Another baby shower, a wedding, singing in two church services, conversation with a new friend (an old acquaintance, but new pal), and the "getting out of the summer clothes."(Which I personally love and find as a wonderful time to purge. My rule since living in New York has constantly been, if I haven't worn it in one year- get rid of it!) Additionally, I checked in on Percy and Bess, my friends spoiled rotten kitties who are more like dogs than cats, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I emailed my little sister repeatedly, helping her in the attempt to procrastinate editing her 100+ page thesis and talked her off a ledge a few times. And I got to see little baby Marco within his first few hours of life; my friends son who decided to enter the world three months early. I've spent many hours at the hospital since then sharing Chinese food, hugs, and encouraging words with my friend, her husband and her mom.

I'm thankful for friends in NYC- who are my family. Who have become my family. But I do miss those who love me well back in Texas. Today on my lunch hour the grassy acre- as I like to call it-in Bryant Park was full of people sitting and lounging. I immediantly took off my shoes and massaged the bottom of my feed with the tickly blades. Intantly I could not remember the last time I was barefoot in the grass. Probably the last time I was in Texas last- was it September? It's sad for me, because I need this.

My mom told me once that she has to put her hands in dirt everyday. She has to touch soil- everyday. Not that this is true for everyone, but for her, it's what keeps her filled up. Grounded. Makes life worth living. Maybe because Spring is finally here- real WARM tempuratures and people are outside and the days last longer. Maybe because Tessa Sophie is a sweet and beautiful little girl that I miss. Maybe because it's almost Mother's Day or my husbands had a rough week at work or because I'm hormonal- but I'd really love to be in Texas. If just for 24 hours.

I'm considering the $314 flight--- but first I want to make sure that I'm not trying to run away from something. (God, what lesson are you trying to teach me...?)

No comments:

Post a Comment