Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My hair has just gotten long enough that I can pull it all back in a low ponytail without little strands falling out all the time. So today, I wore it half pulled back in a large barrette. So, I feel like a look a little like a bobblehead. Seriously, like with my hair swooped out of my face, my head is ginormous, or maybe my neck too small? I don't know.

A friend gave me these HUGE oversized sunglasses she was going to get rid of (and a coach bag... but that's another blog/story about how I'm a freeloader and proud of it) and today when I caught a glimpse of myself in the H&M window as I walked to bask in the sun at Bryant Park I thought- yikes, what a big head!

While trying to appear graceful and feminine like Jackie O., I think these sunglasses with this hairdo make my head appear frightfully big. (this pic was taken this weekend, I didn't to to work in a t-shirt and hoodie)

The sun is hot, Hot, HOT today and on my way to the subway I couldn't help but notice how we were all wearing sleeveless, or spaghetti straps or even strapless flirty dresses in bold prints and patterns. Of course we all "dressed it up" with a sweater, or cardigan or blazer- which helps for sunning during ones lunch hour, walking home at sunset, or after hours beverages. As long as I have on heels, nice jewelry and a cardigan then I don't feel like I'm going to the beach.

I realize this is unfair; the fact that many women become scantly clad in the office during the summer while men still wear suits and ties. In my office the dress is business/ business casual and I usually wear a suit or slacks and dress shirts. But in the summer, it's so temping to not to, because it's warm and business casual can mean cropped pants and khaki skirts.

But how far is too far? I tend to toe the line, to see what other girls wear do the same, even if I wouldn't normally consider it office appropriate. And not in the sense that it is too short or too low-cut, but jersey dresses, sleeveless tanks, flip-flops and beach skirts really don't have a place in the office, I don't think. And paint your toenails please, if you are going to show them off - in the office. (I have other "rules" for day-to-day living regarding toenails.)

I will say, however, I do work in an office full of European men who don't wear undershirts. And on Friday's I have seen loafers with no socks. I'm just sayin...

No comments:

Post a Comment