Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"I'm going to catch a fever."

When Chris told me this last night, I said, "I love the way you say 'You're going to catch a fever, versus, get a fever.' You can catch a cold, the flu, pneumonia, a fever, I'm pretty sure you get. Or come down with." This was immediately followed by, "Can I blog about this?" To which he replied, "Sure."

Chris said he felt pretty bad all day yesterday and right at 3:00 he just KNEW he had a fever. He could feel it coming over him and he knew when he got home he'd simply get underneath the covers and shiver while his body sweat. "But when I got home, I felt better," he says to me.

Yeah, I've heard it all before. I felt sick, but after my mom came and picked me up from school my tummy was fine and I wanted to go play outside. And have a grilled cheese. And watch I Dream of Jeannie & Gomer Pyle. In all honesty, I never got sick at school, or missed much school for being sick. My sisters and I were (lucky??) enough to even get the chicken pox over the Christmas vacation. I was in third grade and I recall being a little ticked that I didn't get to miss school like my classmates.

I'm never really sick. Sniffles, runny nose, being drugged up on NyQuil: not my thing. I think it all has to do with being a breastfed baby- but that's another story. Perhaps it's the vitamins, the B-12, the 5HTP. But I have to be honest, I'm not real consistent in staying on top of my handfuls of supplements. It comes in waves, my allegiance to vitamins and minerals. And since starting my weekly chiropractic care, again, I have been pretty good about it- and I'm taking a Magnesium and Potassium supplement as well. Doctor's orders.

Evidently my foot and leg cramps were due to lack of electrolytes which these will help with. Also, Magnesium and Potassium are good, good, good for the joints. I like being prodded and popped. Lying face down like a rag doll while a complete stranger jostles me back into normalcy. Spine, neck, hips. Chris and I love our chiropractor- as weird as the "center" his practices is in is. They're all into healing circles and yoga and Tarot. I just go in there with my Hillsong blaring through my ear buds, the love of Jesus on my face, and inhale the eucalyptus. Our doctor knows we are Christians and thinks we are "the sweetest couple." Once he said to me, "Well, of course you are sweet, Stef. But that husband of yours! You are the nicest people."
Although I've had a cyst removed from my face, a cyst cut out of my back (day surgery, infection, Hospice nurse, wound packing... all for "nothing major"), two warts cut off my chin, worn glasses since age eight, visited several gynecologists, a urologist and and endocrinologist- none of whom could figure out "my issue", had chronic yeast infections for most of 2008, can't eat cruciferous vegetables without becoming room empty-ing gassy (but still do it, sorry Chris...), I consider myself pretty darn healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment