Thursday, September 29, 2011

The non-athlete

When I went to the Roller Derby a couple of weeks ago with Erin, I was just in amazed (again) at the ability and strength of these women. I mean who doesn't like a tough, strong girl on skates? Plus, they look so intimidating with those mouth guards.

I'd love to be that fierce. But I'm not an athlete. I'm not athletic. I'm just girly and I'll be the first to admit I like shoes, Sephora, and showering.

Which is why I'm a little nervous about this evenings "End of Summer" event for our office. As a company, we are going bowling. Yikes!!! I can't bowl. I mean, who can really, no one practices or has much experience like they might in other sports: softball, tennis, basketball or golf. But I'm ungraceful, clumsy and sort of pathetic to watch.

Although I'm sure I provide much entertainment. Even though it appears that I'm purposefully using sloppy form, don't care, and might be intentionally sabotaging my team, the truth is - I am giving it my all out there. I'm focused and hoping just for average- just to hit some pins down and not throw the ball down the lane, dropping it with a loud bang, which once again brings full attention to me.

In the 8th grade we (Athens Middle School students) went bowling- some class outing, honors students, or some club thing. Anyway, the next day at school there was a massive sign hanging on the wall opposite the lockers which read, "Stefani Martin bowled a 32. If you can bowl higher than her please sign." I'm talking a banner sized 6' X 10' piece of paper posted in my Jr. High hallway. The teacher who posted it rolled it up nicely and gave it to me at the end of the day with hundreds of signatures. And I'm pretty sure it never made it home with me!

Trauma. I don't think I've recovered yet.

I'd much rather be on a boat cruise around Manhattan like we were last year. That was a great company outing. I'm good with free food, conversation- especially over a glass of wine, and taking in the views. This bowling thing requires me to wear borrowed shoes and most certainly look a bit ridiculous in front of my co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment