Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Turn Turn Turn

With only a couple weeks left until the beginning of fall (September 23rd) summer has made his days known. This summer in New York we had some ridiculously high temperatures and some very humid days. We felt the winds blow the rains fall and the very earth shake under our feet. I am ready for fall, and even dug out my navy J. Crew blazer to wear in today's 63 degree temperatures. BUT, it's bittersweet: The End of Summer.

Summer in New York means lots of walking, and experiencing everything so vividly and up close while taking it all in. During the winter months you live life underground. Running from subway stop to bus stop to the front door. During those gray days I forget to look up; I keep my view forward, by brow furrowed - because of the bitterly cold wind hitting me in the face, and my gaze on the next step ahead.

Not that September will bring snow, it's just that summer's always gone too quickly, and then I am cold for nine months. I do love the fall though, especially in the Northeast. Chris and I have been fortunate enough to get away from the city during the first few weeks of October each year and see some amazing fall foliage. In just a few weeks, we are planning on going to Maine during our anniversary leaf peeping event.

For fall order is back in place. Schedules are reestablished. Form and direction are reinforced where it otherwise was let go for the summer. It's the "back to school" in all of us. It's the time to start a new journal. It's time to clean out the closets perhaps, or look into that budget you set up months ago. It's a new season, a new beginning- hitting the gym, getting back in the groove of life maybe. As much as I love summer, and last minute outings, I thrive on knowing what's coming when and having my agenda.

And my agenda is pretty full for the next few "fall kick off" weeks. Between planning meetings and showers and going away parties and service days and appointments- I literally have one free night this week (even Saturday and Sunday are booked...!).

I'll miss all the free activities of summer, bike rides, walks along the river, sitting outside and shopping the expanse and wealth of the Farmer's Market; all the flavors, color and textures which will soon be replaced with root vegetables and apples. (I am looking forward to those apples though!)

So, while we have a couple weeks until her arrival, I bought some things to welcome Autumn- even if a bit prematurely. I picked up some gingersnaps and canned pumpkin this weekend, in anticipation for my first pumpkin pudding making of the season. I bought a cinnamon-y candle. I'm wearing dark lipstick today in place of my shear gloss and feel that we will not see temperatures in the 90's again this season.

Embrace it, seasons change and it will be good. Even if it's hard to see now, through my sunglasses and floppy straw hat that I'm saddened to pack away.

No comments:

Post a Comment