Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Peace & Quiet

Today in the mail I received, New York's 50 Best Places to Find Peace and Quiet. So, on my lunch hour I wandered over to 430 East 43rd Street to The Ford Foundation Building. As Wikipedia states,

"It was designed in 1967 by the firm of Roche0-Dinkeloo, the Ford Foundation Building was the first large-scale architectural building in the country to devote a substantial portion of its space to horticultural pursuits. This atrium was designed with the notion of having accessible urban greenspace to all, and is an example of the applications of environmental psychology."

Environmental Psychology: Yes Please!!! This space was amazingly quiet and serene. I can not even tell you how it made me feel. All alone in that big space with the sound of water splashing quietly in a small pond. A woman wandered in pushing a toddler. A guy walked into the space gazing immediately upward, letting me know this was his first time in the atrium as well.

I can't wait to get back there tomorrow. And sit!


No comments:

Post a Comment