Sunday, September 27, 2009

Employed

Today is my last day freedom. Doing whatever I want to whenever I want to do it. Tomorrow I start my job. As an employee. Not a temp. It's bitter sweet, honestly. I do realize that we, Chris and I, are so blessed and that having this opportunity, in itself, is a total God thing. But, I've liked doing my own thing for a very long time. Even as a temp, knew I could "get out" at any time, though I never did. This is a job. Permanent thing. Yikes! No really, I am thrilled.

Yes, this is me. I have a Masters Degree in Journalism and I am a receptionist. I don't care. I chose Journalism as my major my first year in college and I was going to stick it out. Four years later, I chose Journalism again as my masters, with an emphasis in Public Relations.

See, I've always liked to write. But, I knew as a writer I would never make money, so I chose Journalism. However, I knew journalists make no money either, they make about a dollar. (This was repeatedly told to us in journalism school, "You will not make money in radio or TV." "There is no money to be made working as a Beauty Editor at a magazine. "You will not be Katie Couric." BUT, at least it would be a guaranteed income, even if it was $24,000 a year- with a four year degree. Even if it was less than I made selling lotion at the mall. It would be a career and I could grow, move up, achieve tenure and then make a decent living. But around my sophomore year I realized I hated news writing. No adjectives. EVER. Just the facts. I found this ridiculously boring. But, I was going to finish school, so I did.

Public Relations was more my thing- event planning, networking, writing newsletters, giving speeches. So, I emphasized in PR in graduate school. So, at this point in my life I had five years of experience working in retail, a BS in Journalism, and a MJ. What do I do? I go work for a non-profit.

So, when me moved to NYC it took me awhile to boldly call myself a writer. I had lots of encouragement from out of work actors and jobless dancers. At least I felt better. So now I make more money as a receptionist in midtown than I would working in a job that my degree is in. I would work late nights, through the weekend, and make pennies. PENNIES. I have a friend who does this. It's sad. BUT, 9-5 doesn't make me Me. So, I just have to be resolved in that. I keep writing though. That's what's important. I use this blog as a warm-up. As a springboard. As a free-writing exercise.

Tomorrow I'll be an employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment