Monday, September 7, 2009

Work, School, and All That Stuff

Tomorrow Chris goes back to school. Well, really last week he was "back to school" but it was just the two principals palling around, shooting the bull, and leaving at 3:00 on the dot. (Not that things did not get done, but I do know what time he left each day and he got to wear cargo shorts.) Tomorrow all the teachers are back- and Wednesday all the children will return. He says if it weren't for the kids working in education would be fine. (.... Just kidding, you know my husband loves his job and I would discuss that more here, but again, this blog is about me, not him....)

Tomorrow I have an interview that I am pretty excited about about. Another one of those friend of a friend..."Yeah, forward my resume" sort or things. I am meeting with a lady from HR and the gentleman whose name hangs over the door. I'll brush off my black skirt suit (sans pantyhose) and head out the door at 1:00 with my flip-flops on and 3" heels in tow.

I submitted an essay today and keep writing. I've enjoyed physically writing on a yellow tablet with an actual pen these past few days- taking in the last moments of warmth. But when I do this, write out words on paper, I think how I will probably never re-write it on the computer and it will never be made into anything more. No essay or story or quirky recollection of a time long ago. Oh well.


So, I made a list of why I want to go back to work. Not the real reasons like: I get bored and antsy in a 500 square foot apartment, or I refuse to sit another long, miserable winter in this box in the sky, or that I feel as if I need to justify my existence with something.... something other than a child.

So, if we had money- money besides the amount we barely squeak by on each month- then I would be able to:
1. Take that Yoga class
2. Get $100 haircuts and bikini waxes
3. Buy healthier foods for Chris and me (maybe cook a little more instead of relying on pancake mixes and frozen pizzas)
4. Possibly get cable TV(this, again, is something Chris sacrificed)
5. Get a massage from time to time
6. Spend money on coffee or yogurt or a $10 eyeshadow without feeling guilty
7. Wine
8. Use shower gel and not Ivory bar soap that I buy 4/$1.00
9. Musicals and museums and live music events
10. Keep the motorcycle, maybe...

Not that it's all about the money, but I am realizing that I am inhibited from doing alot. Plus, when there are weddings and birthdays and babies I realize that we have no wiggle room. And honestly, I want to be able to enjoy the city we live in. This summer I relied heavily on my free entertainment: running in the park, working out downstairs in the weight-room and soaking up rays on the sun-deck. Pretty lame, I admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment