Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Prayer

(This photo has nothing to do with anything I just like it. Chris and me walking up Central Park West over a year ago. Reminiscing...)

I am sort of melancholy today-- well, not me really, but I am feeling the emotional suckage from people I know and love who are hurting or ill or just plain old tired right now. My heart hurts because their heart hurts. I know we were called to live in community at times like this. We've all been there. And if not, hang on, cause it's coming. Sooner or later we all want to throw up our hands and walk away. Life's hard.

A friend of mine posted this verse on her blog- and I want to post it too. It's that good, for here and now, for what I needed to hear today. (This is from The Message, which isn't my favorite translation, but I liked the way this was stated.)

Meanwhile, the moment you get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. Romans 8:26-28

At my new job, things are going well. I like change and newness and having a source of consistent income. I just struggle with getting the routine down. Not that I can't learn, I learn quickly; I write everything down my spiral: passwords, account numbers, who's who and what's what. When to order more half and half, who wants their mail as soon as it arrives and who not to chew gum in front of. But, I want to know everyone's name now so I can greet them properly. I want to be able to tell you where everyone sits now. I want to remember that when a caller asks for Don- they are actually asking for Dawn, and that Niki is a male. I want my own building pass. It'll come. In the meantime, they adore my southern accent- which I still don't hear. (Only after a couple glasses of wine...) Oh, well. As my friends have taught me, about this and so many other things, Embrace It. It's who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment