Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Walking

Today is the first day of a whole new season. I love it; Autumn and the idea of brand new beginnings and new things going on. Everyone's waiting in anticipation for something to happen. Something.

So what is it? And will we know when it gets here?

Fall is my favorite time of year, because it's so close to perfect. Not too hot or too cold, the colors in nature are breathtaking, and the Earth seems to be taking a big ole' stretch, preparing to settle in for winter. It's a little more hushed and reflective. And, of course there's the pumpkin. Anyone who knows me knows that I love pumpkin. Pumpkin anything. Even my house smells like pumpkin. I just love long-sleeved t-shirts and open windows.

Recently, I uncovered this verse and it continues to draw me back into reality as I live my life, "I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, urge you to walk worthy of the calling you have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, accepting one another in love, diligently keeping the unity of the Spirit with the peace the binds us." Eph. 4:1-3
(And, check out Hebrews 10:24-25)

I have constantly been asking myself, over the past week, if I am walking worthy of my calling. It's daunting. BUT, I know God sees me as so much more valuable and usable than I do. I just want to be where He needs me to be when He needs me to be there. Honestly, for me it's not a location thing, I feel like I have people in my life who value my friendship, just as I do theirs; we need each other. I just want to speak up when I need to and more importantly, shut up when I need to. He's prepared the way, all the hard work has been done. I wish I could see it all now- without the restriction of time and place.

I have to be honest. I don't live up to my full potential of what God's called me to be; none of us do. I waste alot of time making lists instead of doing. This quote from my devotional earlier this week keeps coming back to me: The proof of spiritual maturity is not how "pure" you are but your awareness of your impurity. That very awareness opens the door to God's grace. Philip Yancey

No comments:

Post a Comment