Friday, December 23, 2011

Three French Hens


Christmas in New York City has really made me realize the materialism that abounds here, not only in NYC, but in our country as a whole. We are always needing something else, wanting more and having to get some other version of something we probably already own.

Walking along Fifth Avenue passing shop after boutique after designer label clothing store depresses me. I want to scream to the person who just bought a $1,200 hand bag that she is wrong. I want to tell the man who bought a tie for the upwards of $150, "you are completely insane." Seriously. And it's not because I'm jealous, or want hundreds of thousands of dollars, I just don't understand spending money for the sake of spending money, when $20 would provide someone in another country clean drinking water for twenty years. I don't understand, and I don't know how I can evoke change- but I'm trying.

I guess that is one thing that being in NYC during Christmas has revealed to me.

The second is that we really don't have room for decorations or a tree or a all those snowmen platters or holiday dishes. Since moving to New York we purchased a tree one year out of our five Christmases. And it was a potted tree, more like a plant really. This doesn't depress me, it's just how it is. And I don't see the point in more stuff and more things when I feel so wealthy already. Wood, Hay and Straw my friends.

The third thing we've had to get used to in NYC, is giving money to our doormen for Christmas. I'm talking cold hard cash, because that is what they expect. I can not simply make a tray of holiday cookies, or buy a Christmas gift basket with cheeses and crackers and jams and such- they only take money in a Christmas card. I realize following my previous post about giving, you'd think that I'd be more on board with this idea. More generous. BUT, it's so hard!!! Because there are anywhere from 8-12 doormen and at at least $20 a person, if not more, this really adds up.

I think it upsets me too because I don't buy gifts for my own family (back in Texas) or close friends, but I have to figure out who Adrian and Arturo are so that I can get them their Christmas card. (Which they expect...) On a daily basis I don't even see all the doormen or porters- Oh, God help me have a more giving heart and not be so selfish.

That's my three. Three NYC Christmas norms that still don't seem quite so normal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment