Thursday, December 22, 2011

Four Calling Birds


Last night I called my mama while I did a load of laundry and painted my fingernails. I realize that these things seem to conflict; how can one sort, load, and unload washers and driers with wet fingernails? How can a person talk on a cell phone while painting her nails? Well, I did it, pretty well I might add.

I’ve never been a big phone talker. Except in my dating days, I guess. Spending hours at fifteen and sixteen and seventeen “breathing into the phone” as my dad would say. I just rather talk to you face-to-face. Or write a letter or email. Catching up over the phone is just awkward and talking on the phone to people I see every other day is unnecessary. I’m sure I do things daily that keep me from being present, but the idea of talking on the phone to someone I’ll see tomorrow just bores me.

Talking to family that I see once a year is different though. I should be more proactive in calling my sisters and mom & dad. Sometimes though, I just don’t know where to start. With what happened today? Yesterday? The biggest news of the month? And if I do have a free fifteen minutes or so and I don’t reach my mom, then I’m usually pretty bad about trying to call back. Until the next week, when it crosses my mind again.

I’m probably most comfortable on the phone with my mama. We talk about life in general: church, school, work, health issues, recipes, what’s going on in the lives of my siblings. I would dare say I actually LIKE talking on the phone with my mama. I’m pretty sure I go into another time and place and can simply be myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment