Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Five Golden Rings


The city is still humming and the Salvation Army bell is still ringing- at each and every entrance to Grand Central Station. But this morning as I approached the Helmsley Hotel on my walk west on 42nd Street, the sidewalks were still. These “city sidewalks” were not “busy sidewalks” at 8:00AM this morning as Bing Crosby and Carole Richards crooned.

This is the golden season- these are the days when many New Yorkers head out of town, and the holiday crowds are dwindling, though ever present. Then there are those of us who still remain. The commute is quieter, the bus less crowded, and there is enough room on the subway platform for me and my two oversized tote-bags. Strapped to my back I have my sneakers and my gym clothes, my Tupperware that carried my lunch, an umbrella and a bottle of wine that I received as a Christmas gift from someone at work.

Our office overflows with cheesecakes and wine (literally cases of wine) and baked goods. We’ve received Godiva gift baskets, Ms. Fields cookie tins and some, really cheap gift boxes with things like pretzels, cheese that can be kept at room temperature(?), stale nuts and shortbread cookies. One of my favorite things is the package that has European chocolates, teas and biscuits for all the chaps from the UK around here. All of this from clients and brokers; General Contractors who want our business. It is fun & nice, despite the constant looming of sugar and buttery things all day every day.

I think I’ve been gifted at least six bottles of wine. And I’ve put away a few goodies for later. It’s overwhelming to see all those candies and cookies and dried fruits. So, I just use my lunch baggies (after I’ve eaten the carrot sticks or crackers) and fill them with things I’d like to have later. If you snooze you lose around here, but I don’t want to simply gorge myself just so I can partake. I threw a oatmeal raisin cookie in the freezer for next week and I have a 85% dark chocolate bar in my desk drawer.

I'm not too upset when we receive gift baskets of pretty cookies (shown here) that probably taste like crap. These are *probably* stale Italian cookies that look more festive than they taste, do not entice me whatsoever. I learned my lesson as a young child that the sprinkle covered doughnut tastes the worst. Honestly, I'd like a few more baskets like this- ones that don't make me salivate.


I will be working next week. The phone will ring very little. And hopefully I can sit, read, and enjoy some down time without feeling bitter anxious and watching the clock as I think about how everybody is off work except for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment