Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Embrace It.

So last night I was laying on my couch listening to Seinfeld and not really watching. Okay, not watching at all, I was totally in that place between sleep and consciousness. That place that feels so good that I don't want to get off the couch and out from under my blanket because I know when I do, I will not be able to get this comfortable in my bed. I'll start thinking about charging my iPod and making my peanut butter sandwich for lunch and wondering if the pants that I was going to wear tomorrow are at the dry cleaners.

So, I lay there. Listening to Jerry and George and Elaine. My windows were cracked letting in the 63 degree weather. So nice for the middle of July. And that smell of Eli's bread was just pumping in like heavy metal music; strong and loud, full base and doughy electricity. So, I decided to just embrace it, to not let it bother me any more. I'm gonna LOVE the smell of freshly made bread coming in my apartment, and I'm not going to have to eat it!

The smell is going to make me happy, not pissed off, and remind me of stainless steel mixing bowls and olive green linoleum floors in my mother's kitchen. The smell is going to make me smile, not make me bitter. I am no longer going to feel deprived or that I have to dive head first into a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread or a sesame seed bagel. I am not deprived, I get my doughy fix when I need it. The scent of freshly baked bread is going to take me to flour covered counter tops and mom's sourdough rolls in a basket covered with a linen that she cross-stitched flowers on. It's not going to frustrate me any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment