Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Independent Woman?

Really? Cause I'm not feeling it today. Today is an, "I am mad and the city day." See, me and New York we have an unstable, troubled relationship. Some days I am madly in love with the city. I love the crowds and the noise and the exotic foods and the expensive rents and the way I am identified as a New Yorker. I see my future children playing in the park and my life without a car from now until forever.

Other days are like today. The bus is too slow, I am tired of walking and arriving everywhere with sweat under my boobs. I'm sick of toting around everything that I would normally have in the floorboard of my car: books, journal, water bottle, light jacket, after work snack, shoes. The air is toxic the people are mean and I am not cut out for a place like this.

Today was honestly not as bad as some "I want to leave this place" days. I think the real reason I want at least a 24hr break is because Chris is not here. He is out there somewhere in America riding a motorcycle. He is seeing mountains and rivers and trees so tall that the top is somewhere in the clouds. And I want to be there. I want space. I want to hear nothing.

When I watch fireworks or the pulse of the ocean or hold a sleeping baby my mind is still. I want to feel like that. I try to be an independent woman: strong, fearless, sassy and brave. But I can't walk down the sidewalk in my 3" pumps and I'd rather sit in the park reading David Sedaris than be chatty with people I don't even care about in some mid-town bar while drinking an $8.00 glass of wine. I am not as cool as I think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment