Friday, July 10, 2009

New York Attitude

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24

I don't understand why people come to NYC and spend money on things that they can buy at home. Don't you have Banana Republic, Old Navy, Ann Taylor, and Sephora in your state? I mean yes, maybe the Foot Locker is the size of a Wal-Mart, and the Toys-R-Us does have a Ferris wheel in it, but the Lego's are just Lego's- only now they have to be carried around Times Square with the M&M's (that are just M&M's mind you) bought for $12.99/lb at the M&M store. Now, you have to get them to Charlotte, NC with you, Bubba. It may be a flagship L'occitane, but they still sell the same overpriced bubble baths and foot lotion. Macy's, Bloomingdale's, or Saks- I understand a little more.

Okay, I'm being snarky. (My sister pointed out a coffee mug to me just this week, "Here Stef, you need this." It read - You say I'm a bitch like it's a bad thing. And quite frankly, maybe sometimes I am. And I don't think it's a bad thing in those times because I simply call it attitude.) I know I'm being totally judgemental, after all these dollars are what keep our economy going, but still... Don't come to New York and eat at Olive Garden, California Pizza Kitchen or Subway. I will talk bad about you.

It's peek tourist season. Tourists standing at the bottom of the stairs trying to decide if they are heading in the right direction. Tourists standing in the middle of the sidewalk trying to decide if they are heading in the right direction. Tourists standing at the street corner when the lighted WALK sign appears trying to decide if they are heading in the right direction. I need to be nicer about the whole thing, not so bitter, I know. People love this city, they want to experience it. Heck, I love this city, that's why I moved here.

So, I'm telling myself (again) slow down, breathe, look around you, you're not as important as you think you are. These are people too, God's creation, people with ideas and feelings and maps and cameras. It's gonna be a good weekend.

"It took the had of God almighty to part the waters and the sea
But it only took one little lie to separate you and me
We are not as strong as we think we are
We are frail, we are fearfully and wonderfully made
Forged in the fires of human passion
Choking on the fumes of selfish rage
And with these our hells and our heavens
So few inches apart
We must be awfully small
And not as strong as we think we are" Rich Mullins

No comments:

Post a Comment