Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just another day in New York City

Today I experienced the second most crowded subway ride. Ever. And I wondered this afternoon as I crawled out of the 120 degree Grand Central underground mayhem, as I still am now, if it was actually the most crowded subway ride and the other one only seems crowded in retrospect because it was the first. I don't know. But if you think you have been on a really crowded subway, you have not. You know if you have been.

My first experience was the first month or so that we moved here in 2007. It was a sweltering August day. I was headed to an interview. In a suite and lilac silk top that I was sure was drenched in sweat. The N line wasn't running into Manhattan so at Queensboro all of us "bridge and tunnel crowd" from Astoria switched over to the already packed 7 train. I thought I was going to suffocate. The ride lasted forever, making additional stops throughout Queens. And of course nobody was getting off in Queens. We were all headed into the city. (Glad those days are over.... I say a bit snobbishly.)

There were no rails or bars to hold on to, and luckily I was tall enough to reach the ceiling- just barely though. The guy beside me offered support as we lurched to an abrupt stop at each station. I could feel a hand on my butt. I was 100% sure someone was grabbing at my upper thigh- but what was I going to do with one hand palming the ceiling and the other keeping my bag gripped tightly under my sweaty armpit? I seriously, seriously considered just not showing up for that interview. I wanted to cry. I think the guy beside me suspected that. But it turns out he wasn't feeling on my leg- it was just his satchel bag. I think.

Today offered a similar experience. I knew the 4/5 trains were delayed---- between Brooklyn and Manhattan. Something to do with electrical wires... blah, blah.. But why does that effect the 4/5/6 trains heading uptown and downtown? Why are all the train running at "slower speeds" and why do I have to "expect delays?" So, we waited.... we waited.... The masses gathered. We all knew that the train would be packed. We complained. We were sweating profusely. I told my self at 11:15 I was going to go catch a cab. But, suddenly I see a 6 local train barreling down the tracks.

On the 4/5 I only have to make two stops from 86th street: 59th then 42nd/ Grand Central and I'm done. A quick jaunt. No biggie. But on the already packed 6 local train, we made several stops and I fought wholeheartedly against claustrophobia and having an all-out panic attack. So maybe I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but still.

I crawled my way onto the train with everyone else; jacket and huge oversized bag it tow. Somehow I managed to do that palming the ceiling thing again. In front of me was a huge, well dressed black gentleman in a pink dress shirt. "Just another day in New York City," he said. Sweat beads rolled down his neck. The lady beside me was about 5" tall and looked like someones grandmother. I mean I had a strangers hair in my mouth, and I really hoped I shaved my armpits well because the guy's face (or was it a lady?) beside me was right in it.

We are close. We are closer than I have ever been with a group of total strangers. Closer than I've ever wanted to be with a group of total strangers. I mean its really real in a subway this crowded. But, we survived for five or six stops, until it got a little more bearable.

It wasn't so bad. I mean, it was bad. Hot and really disgusting. Feet stepping on you, people shoving there way out, all the while hoping that at the next stop a lot of people won't need off, cause that means you'll have to move and get shoved and find a new spot. The train crawls into each station to a platform full of people expectantly waiting and really wanting to get on this train. And you wonder how one more body can be shoved in this tiny little cavity. "Just shut the doors already, my arm's asleep," you think to yourself. And, at this point, I'll have to run to work to avoid being late.

But, I think we all realize in those few moment, we choose to live here. It's part of it. You gotta take it all. If you want to have access to some of the best music and dancing and artwork and public parks and amazingly smart, talented, passionate people from all over the freaking world- then sometimes you have to deal with an inadequate public transportation system that might put you in less than desirable situations.

(photo from) http://gothamist.com/2008/05/13/confirmed_nyc_s.php

No comments:

Post a Comment